Busy doing what? Well, mostly scrounging for free furniture and scraping all manner of unidentifiable substances off of pretty much every surface of this beast of a house. (Oh, yes. In case we forgot to mention: we bought a house.) There have also been some major projects in there too, as well as some major fun, which we will document at greater length in future, when we find our camera charger.
But until then, we just wanted our gentle readers to know that we are alive and very well here in the great state of Illinois--it's still weird to say that. I never planned to live in Illinois. It never occurred to me. Until a few months ago, I wouldn't even have been able to point out the state of Illinois on a map. Who lives in Illinois? Is there even anything there? I had nothing to associate with Illinois except Chicago, Obama, Scarface, corruption, crime, violence, etc. But surely those were all just media exaggerations, right? As it turns out, our very own high school is host to a gang or two, and there is a curfew enforced for minors! We're not in Provo anymore! So we've been trying to work on fitting in, just in case the going gets rough. How are we doing?
But really, we are loving it here, mostly because of the unseasonably lovely weather, the charming ducks that provide endless entertainment and constantly serenade us from our backyard puddle, and our lovely friends, neighbors and church members who have been perpetually helpful, welcoming and kind. We truly feel surrounded by family. In our first two weeks here, we dined at home only about 5 times due to church functions and dinner invites from ward members. From these generous new friends we have been given furniture, borrowed tools, pick-up trucks, and many hours of manual labor and consulting on various unexpected house problems. And just last week, some women in the ward organized a beautiful baby shower for us where dozens of perfect strangers brought us gifts and well-wishes. We are feeling very loved.
In other news, Chace is enjoying his new work quarters in "The Lighthouse Room" (did I mention that almost every room is themed?) Although I think he may be getting a little too comfortable with this whole "home office" business, since I rarely see him wearing anything but his nerdy little blue sweats and on nice days, I am often surprised to look outside and see that he's climbed out his office window onto the deck to enjoy the sun while on a phone call. But I do love having him around, and I miss him something fierce on days like today when he actually goes in to the office. I may have to fake labor and call him home early!
Speaking of which: we are so very excited about the nearing arrival of our little lady. She is due in just two days, which means that, come hell or high water, we'll meet her sometime in about the next two weeks! For the last few days I've had pretty continuous light contractions day and night, which I'm not sure is entirely normal, but which I love! It's so cool to feel my body working in new ways and I'm amazed at how miraculous this whole process has been. Fortunately I'm feeling great and trying to be productive while I can.
In the midst of all our projects and productivity however, Chace and I were grateful to take a little time off this weekend to focus on a very special event. Besides being a weekend of glorious holidays (Passover, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday), it was also General Conference weekend, when the leaders of our church, after months of fasting, prayer and careful preparation, share with us the things they feel we most need to know. We always anticipate this event because of the love we have for the leaders of the church and because we know that by following their counsel, we will lead happier, healthier lives and grow closer to our Savior and our Heavenly Father. We know this because we have put it to the test. By trying our best to follow the teachings of our leaders and prophets, we have found indescribable joy and peace in our lives and in our marriage. We know that the church was established and is now lead by men and women of God who receive inspiration on our behalf. Chace and I were especially appreciative of the many talks that addressed the importance of the family and sacred responsibility of parenting. We are so excited for this responsibility, and we're grateful that not only can our leaders receive inspiration for us as to how to live in this crazy world, but that when we are trying our best, we can receive direction for ourselves and our families straight from heaven.
I know that Jesus Christ lived, died, and lives again for me and for you. He knows us, and wants us to know Him. We can know Him and hear his voice through His prophets on the earth today, through the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and through the Holy Spirit. He is our brother, our perfect example, and our Savior. Because of Him, I can change each day and be better than the day before, and I can have peace, joy and direction in my life. I hope you found a moment to reflect on these things this past week. We are all so blessed. Happy Easter!
5 comments:
Rivka, have I ever told you how much I love you!! I really do. I'm so grateful to have you as a sister. I'm so very excited for my new little niece. I think of you often. I sure love you!
I can't wait to see pictures!!!
Thanks for the update. Glad you're getting settled in your new house and ward! I've been checking your blog for baby news ALL THE TIME.
Dear Sweet Baby Wilcoxson,
Would you mind hurrying things along over there? I'm getting anxious.
Love,
Steph
What a great post! I am gald to hear you are getting moved in and that it sounds like your ward is great. That makes all the difference. I can't wait to see some pictures of your house and the baby when it comes. I go in tomorrow morning to meet our new little one! We miss you guys and can't wait for our next trip to Chicago and hopefully we can meet up. Good luck with the baby.
i am stalking you. and i am blessed that i know you!!! :)
Post a Comment