"Will we make it up this hill?"
Otherwise we were content to spend our mornings sleeping in or jumping into bed with mom and dad (and their chinchilla), and our days playing in the snow, tending the chickens, and riding horses.

They disappeared out into the forest and I didn't see them again until Chace walked into the kitchen a couple hours later, bird in hand, face speckled with a suspicious red-brown substance. I laughingly said, "Wow, look at you! Well, do you feel manly?" He, looking somewhat dazed, said solemnly, "Not really."
Then I recalled a time he had told me about when a young Chace and his cousins had been out shooting BB guns. His cousins were shooting at birds. Chace didn't feel particularly comfortable with this, but so as not to look like a sissy, he shot at them too. Unfortunately he proved to be a better shot than he thought and he killed one. His show of masculinity hadn't lasted long. He burst into tears.
Of the slaughter of Isfahan though, Chace did say it was a positive experience overall. He loves to eat meat and he said that after actually participating in its preparation, he gained a new appreciation and respect for meat, as well as a renewed realization that it comes from living breathing creatures--sometimes with Christian names! I still don't think, however, that he will be volunteering for the job next Christmas.
Then I recalled a time he had told me about when a young Chace and his cousins had been out shooting BB guns. His cousins were shooting at birds. Chace didn't feel particularly comfortable with this, but so as not to look like a sissy, he shot at them too. Unfortunately he proved to be a better shot than he thought and he killed one. His show of masculinity hadn't lasted long. He burst into tears.
Of the slaughter of Isfahan though, Chace did say it was a positive experience overall. He loves to eat meat and he said that after actually participating in its preparation, he gained a new appreciation and respect for meat, as well as a renewed realization that it comes from living breathing creatures--sometimes with Christian names! I still don't think, however, that he will be volunteering for the job next Christmas.
I love this picture of her. The award-winning gift, if you ask the boys, was a game, the object of which is to hold a metal hand-piece and push a button at the appropriate nanosecond so as to avoid electrocution, whereupon all other participants will be shocked instead. Definitely a game to appeal to the thrill-seeking XY chromo (I'm reminded of a little trick my sister Miriam taught me for remembering which gender has an X and a Y chromosome: "'Y' is for "Why are they so dumb?") The night ended as people trickled out back to their own homes, but not before a Monopoly Marathon. Again, XY. Enough said.
Uncle Jay reading to the kids.
Now enjoy some other choice and favorite pictures from the week. And don't forget!
Laney, getting the wickedness shaken out of her.

2 comments:
Oh good, you figured out how to let us fans comment. Great post! I loved it, and plan on stealing some of your pictures for my (late) Christmas post, as I was so busy having fun that I didn't take any! Love you both - Marmee
Oh, Kika! Thanks for putting all these pictures on. I was also lamenting that I hadn't taken any pictures (except family bowling, which you weren't present for). So I stole some too. Good 'ol UGs. I'll never get over it... DF to you both, Nann
Post a Comment